Friday, April 4, 2008

Simple Baby Dolls



If you're like me, you place importance on providing your child with a variety of non-Anglo dolls but have found it difficult to find them. I was surprised to find that even in the three toy stores I visited in Guatemala City, the only dolls of color for sale were Dora! All the other dolls were as white as I am. And that is a shade known as Whitey-White-McWhiterson.

These simple baby dolls are hand-sewn using vintage huipiles, felt, embroidery thread, and polyfill. They are each 8" to 9" long and 4" to 5" wide; their backs are felt.

Options/Prices:
  • You can choose the general color scheme or let me know if you like a particular fabric you've seen on this site. If I still have some of the fabric, I will be happy to use it; if not I can either suggest substitutes in my current inventory of fabric or try to find something similar next time I go to the store/market.
  • Price is $20 each.
Payment and shipping details:
  • Payment will be through paypal.com.
  • Please include $2 per order for shipping.
  • Orders will be shipped whenever the family member/adoptive parent returns home to the US.
To place a special order, please leave the following information in your comment:
  • an email address at which I can contact you to exchange information. Feel free to "disguise" the email address so it doesn't get picked up by spambots.
  • your general preference for fabric color scheme, or whether you have seen a particular fabric that you like.
Here are a few examples of simple baby dolls I've made and sold. All huipiles and dolls are unique and these photos are only for reference. Please click to enlarge:

1 comment:

senora said...

Please email regarding purchasing two of these beauties! Thanks so much!

sdmsohio[insert AT sign here]yahoo[.com]

Thanks!