Sunday, April 6, 2008

Fun With Scraps! Part I: Cards

This is Part I of a series of posts I'll do providing ideas for fun projects you or your child can make with a scrap sampler. Homemade greeting cards are a great way to show someone you care about them.

Materials:
  • Blank cards, sold at craft stores. Or you can make your own by cutting thick paper to the size you want.
  • Envelopes
  • Scraps of huipil fabric
  • Fabric glue
  • Optional: Paints or markers for text or drawings; other embellishments if desired
Last year I made Christmas cards using blank cards, small squares of huipil scraps, and watercolors. You could use markers instead if you do not like to paint. The directions are very simple:
  • Cut out squares and used them to be little houses, presents, and parts of a Christmas tree.
  • Glue them onto blank cards.
  • Paint or draw the details (roofs, bows, star for the tree, etc).


Just this morning I made a couple notecards. I decorated one with hearts (it's for our 8-year-old sponsor child) using permanent marker and crayons. The directions for these are basically the same as above; just cut out squares and one larger design, and glue them to the cards! Don't worry about making the squares perfect or all the exact same size.

And here is a Mother's Day card I made:

No comments: