Thursday, April 24, 2008

Animal Scraps

I bought about 10 large scraps yesterday that feature animals in Mayan designs. These are cut from huipiles made in an area in which the women intentionally choose dyes that run, so that the white fabric gets streaks of the dye all over it. When I attended the lecture on Guatemalan textiles at Casa de Artes in Antigua, the woman said they do it because of their belief that only God is perfect, so their huipiles have this intentional "flaw".

I don't know what I'm going to make from them yet, but they're so interesting that I wanted to post photos of a few of them. Every time I look at this kind of thing, I'm in awe of the amount of work that went into them... They're all done by hand.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I love these (especially the kitty,) very unique and so beautiful. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.