Up to this point, all the mosaics I've made have used approximately 1/2" squares of huipil fabric. However, a few evenings ago I decided to start one using 1" squares. I'm planning to do a much larger one for myself once we return to the US and I have access to larger watercolor paper and/or canvases. It took me hours upon hours to cut all 108 squares and arrange them, but I like the result! You can see a bit more of the patterns, like the 11 birds from a Santiago Atitlan huipil that I used for accent pieces, than you can when the squares are smaller.
These mosaics are a great way for me to use up huipil scraps that are too small to include in the scrap samplers I sell. But they are very, very time intensive, so I have to be in the right mood to make one :)